The ACPRU is operated by AbbVie. The phase I clinical research facility studies potential new and existing medications in healthy people. Phase I research is conducted to determine the safety, tolerability and dosage levels of future drugs. Each of the studies conducted at the clinic require the approval of an external Institutional Review Board (IRB). This committee is made up of health care professionals and members of the community who are responsible for evaluating and confirming medical and ethical standards and subject safety.
The nearby airports are Chicago O-Hare International, Chicago Midway International and Milwaukee General Mitchell International airports.
The facility boasts many accommodations and amenities including:
- Physician and Nursing coverage around the clock
- Close proximity to emergency response team
- Health screening facilities
- Private physical exam rooms
- Secured entry access
- Large dining area, quiet study areas
- Wide selection of videos and reading materials
- Cards, board games, three Xbox ® 360 game systems
- Visitor lounge area
- Internet access/Wireless
- Billiard tables
- MultiMedia room